Last updated on June 8th, 2022
The demand for dual primary bedroom suites has been consistently growing in popularity. In fact, interest in dual bedrooms has risen so much that Architectural Digest is calling it “the hottest new amenity in luxury homes.”
This trend is increasing fastest among baby boomers, who primarily want separate bedrooms to accommodate different sleeping habits or issues that make it hard for them to get the rest they need, like snoring or medical matters. However, these active adults aren’t the only ones requesting dual bedrooms. Couples in their 20s, who are dealing with different work schedules, or who simply want their own space, are finding they sometimes prefer to sleep apart as well.
What is a Dual Primary Bedroom?
A great primary bedroom suite tends to include a large ensuite, an expansive walk-in closet and plenty of space. While a home with an exceptional primary bedroom is great, one with two is even better. As you’ll see below, doubling these elements of a home can prove to have many benefits for people of all walks of life.
Can a House Have Two Primary Bedrooms?
While sleeping in separate rooms used to be a sign of marriage struggles, that’s no longer the case. Married couples who have dual bedrooms tend to get a better night’s sleep, which can produce happier spouses and, in turn, happier marriages. It’s more about getting the sleep you need, so you can live a healthy lifestyle.
Builders are taking note of this growing trend and responding. In Toll Brothers’ homes across the nation, dual primary suites can be found in communities such as Regency at Caramella Ranch.
An added benefit of dual suites is that each partner can personalize their space to accommodate their needs and preferences. As important as sleep is, a primary bedroom suite is more than just a place to catch some shut-eye. The primary bedroom is often the area where people spend the most time, making it the perfect place to spoil themselves.
We’re seeing lots of luxury trends that can transform a suite to truly get the most use and enjoyment out of the space. Take a look at some of our favorite ideas below and see if any would be a good fit for your lifestyle.
Luxury Primary Bedroom Trends
- Separate Sitting Areas: A primary suite should be a place where you can relax privately in your home. Having additional seating can help create a retreat-like space perfect for reading.
- Small Working Space: Whether it’s for completing simple daily tasks, or a place to spend time diving into a hobby, an office nook in the bedroom can be a great way to utilize space.
- Fireplaces: Fireplaces don’t just add a beautiful focal feature to your bedroom, they also can help create a cozy space, and add to the retreat-like atmosphere of your home.
- Small appliances: Including a microwave and mini-refrigerator, can be a simple way to add convenience and comfort to your luxury bedroom. Coffee bars can also add a modern element of style for those obsessed with caffeine.
Luxury Primary Bath Upgrades
- Heated floors & Towel warmers: Adding heated floors or towel warmers can make a mundane task like showering relaxing and warm up a cold space.
- Customized or High-Tech Shower: Sauna or steam showers are a great way to elevate your primary bath while adding an element of luxury, and it doesn’t have to stop with upgrading your shower’s hardware. You can also add software to your luxury bathroom experience, whether it’s digital shower controls, chromotherapy, or speakers to listen to music – adding tech to the bathroom can complete the luxury experience.
- Vanity mirror TV: Timeless design meets high-tech with a vanity mirror TV. Lounge in a stand-alone tub while watching your favorite TV show or stay in the know while getting ready in the morning without missing a beat.
- Kohler touchless faucet: Efficiency meets style with a touchless faucet. Conserve water with added convenience of your bathroom being “hands free”.
Luxury Primary Closet Features
- Creative Extra Storage: Whether you add an island with drawers and power for charging phones, or a dressing table with a vanity, the extra storage possibilities are endless. While some options are more for design, a safe or a shoe wall can be practical upgrades for organizing or protecting important items.
- Full-length mirror: A large full-length mirror can not only open up a smaller space but is an opportunity to add a stylish feature to a practical space.
- Built-in laundry hamper: Having an uncluttered closet shows off the thought within the design. By adding a built-in hamper, you never have to worry about a messy closet again.
- Valet rods: One sure way to add convenience to a luxury closet is to add in valet rods that make finding and putting clothes away easy.
- Seating: While seating may not be the first thing that comes to mind to put in a closet, it’s much easier to put on shoes or add an elegant accent.
With all these luxury amenities, it is easy to see why having separate primary bedroom suites is a trend that’s not slowing down. According to the Wall Street Journal, “nearly one out of three people seeking homes that are $2 million or more have expressed interest in dual master bedrooms.”
As people voice their preference for this feature, it’s likely more will join in, making this a trend with a solid future. For more ideas, read our blog showcasing our luxury interior designs & images.
Toll Brothers design options vary by market, community and home design across the country. For more information regarding wood beam ceiling design options offered in a specific Toll Brothers community or home, please visit our website or reach out to one of our Online Sales Consultants.