Inquiries and feedback regarding our sustainability initiatives can be directed to ESG@TollBrothers.com
Toll Brothers, Inc. ESG Report | Important Information and Disclaimers
The information presented in this report is non-financial in nature and therefore has not been prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles(GAAP), nor reviewed or evaluated using an established control framework. It has not been independently audited. Information presented, including performance or other metrics, may be based on estimates and assumptions that require a high degree of complex and subjective judgement, and may not necessarily be comparable with that presented by other companies or as calculated pursuant to any third-party standards of sustainability reporting. Inclusion of information in this report is not an indication that we deem such information to be material or important to an understanding of our business or an investment decision with respect to our securities.
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this report covers our owned and operated businesses and does not address the performance, or conduct or operations of our suppliers, contractors, and partners.
This report contains forward-looking statements relating to Toll Brothers operations that are based on management's current expectations, beliefs, estimates, and projections about the homebuilding, land development, real estate, and related industries and other matters. These statements are not guarantees of future conduct, performance or policy and are subject to certain risks, uncertainties and other factors, many of which are beyond the company's control, including local, state, and federal regulations and economic conditions that may impact Toll Brothers, Inc.'s financial results or its operational or ESG-related performance. See the forward-looking disclaimer below for a description of these risks, uncertainties, and other factors.
Therefore, the actual conduct of our activities, including the development, implementation, or continuation of any program, policy, or initiative discussed or forecasted in this report, may differ materially in the future. As with any projection or estimate, actual results or numbers may vary. Many of the standards and metrics used in preparing this report continue to evolve and are based on management assumptions believed to be reasonable at the time of preparation but should not be considered guarantees.
Any statements of intention in this report speak only as of the date they first appeared in this report.
Toll Brothers undertakes no obligation to update publicly any statement in this report.
This report contains references to Toll Brothers' website. These references are for readers' convenience only and Toll Brothers is not incorporating by reference any information posted on tollbrothers.com.
As used in this report, the term "Toll Brothers" and such terms as "the company," "the corporation," "our," "its," "we," and "us" may refer to one or more of Toll Brothers' consolidated subsidiaries, affiliates, and in certain instances, our joint ventures. All of these terms are used for convenience only and are not intended as a precise description of any of the separate companies, each of which manages its own affairs.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENTS RELEVANT TO FORWARD-LOOKING INFORMATION
This report contains or may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. One can identify these statements by the fact that they do not relate to matters of a strictly historical or factual nature and generally discuss or relate to future events. These statements contain words such as "anticipate," "estimate," "expect," "project," "intend," "plan," "believe," "may," "can," "could," "might," "should," "likely," "will," and other words or phrases of similar meaning. Such statements may include, but are not limited to, information and statements related to: the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the U.S. economy and on our business; expectations regarding interest rates and inflation; the markets in which we operate or may operate; our strategic objectives and priorities; our land acquisition, land development and capital allocation plans and priorities; housing market conditions; demand for our homes; anticipated operating results and guidance; home deliveries; financial resources and condition; changes in revenues, in profitability and in margins; changes in accounting treatment; cost of revenues, including expected labor and material costs; selling, general, and administrative expenses; interest expense; inventory write-downs; home warranty and construction defect claims; unrecognized tax benefits; anticipated tax refunds; sales paces and prices; effects of home buyer cancellations; growth and expansion; joint ventures in which we are involved; anticipated results from our investments in unconsolidated entities; our ability to acquire or dispose of land and pursue real estate opportunities; our ability to gain approvals and open new communities; our ability to market, construct and sell homes and properties; the rate at which we deliver homes from backlog; our ability to secure materials and subcontractors; our ability to produce the liquidity and capital necessary to conduct normal business operations or to expand and take advantage of opportunities; and the outcome of legal proceedings, investigations, and claims.
Any or all of the forward-looking statements included in this report are not guarantees of future performance and may turn out to be inaccurate. This can occur as a result of incorrect assumptions or as a consequence of known or unknown risks and uncertainties. The major risks and uncertainties and assumptions that are made that affect our business and may cause actual results to differ from these forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to:
- the ongoing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which remain highly uncertain, cannot be predicted and will depend upon future developments, including the duration of the pandemic, the impact of mitigation strategies taken by applicable government authorities, the continued availability and effectiveness of vaccines, adequate testing and therapeutic treatments and the prevalence of widespread immunity to COVID-19;the effect of general economic conditions, including employment rates, housing starts, interest rate levels, inflation, consumer sentiment, availability of financing for home mortgages, and strength of the U.S. dollar;
- market demand for our products, which is related to the strength of the various U.S. business segments and U.S. and international economic conditions;
- the availability of desirable and reasonably priced land and our ability to control, purchase, hold, and develop such land;
- access to adequate capital on acceptable terms;
- geographic concentration of our operations;
- levels of competition;
- the price and availability of lumber, other raw materials, home components and labor;
- the effect of U.S. trade policies, including the imposition of tariffs and duties on home building products and retaliatory measures taken by other countries;
- the effects of weather and the risk of loss from earthquakes, volcanoes, fires, floods, droughts, windstorms, hurricanes, pest infestations, and other natural disasters, and the risk of delays, reduced consumer demand, and shortages and price increases in labor or materials associated with such natural disasters;
- risks arising from acts of war, terrorism or outbreaks of contagious diseases, such as Covid-19;
- federal and state tax policies;
- transportation costs;
- the effect of land use, environment, and other governmental laws and regulations;
- legal proceedings or disputes and the adequacy of reserves;
- risks relating to any unforeseen changes to or effects on liabilities, future capital expenditures, revenues, expenses, earnings, indebtedness, financial condition, losses and future prospects;
- the effect of potential loss of key management personnel;
- changes in accounting principles; and
- risks related to unauthorized access to our computer systems, theft of our and our home buyers' confidential information, or other forms of cyber-attack.
Many of the factors mentioned above or in other reports or public statements made by us will be important in determining our future performance. Consequently, actual results may differ materially from those that might be anticipated from our forward-looking statements.
Forward–looking statements speak only as of the date they are made. We undertake no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
For a further discussion of factors that we believe could cause actual results to differ materially from expected and historical results, see the information under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" in our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the SEC and in subsequent reports filed with the SEC. This discussion is provided as permitted by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, and all of our forward-looking statements are expressly qualified in their entirety by the cautionary statements contained or referenced in this section.
†As of March 8, 2022, the date of the company's most recent shareholder meeting.